Effective as of May 1, 2017
1. Explain the way we use information that you share with us in order to build a great product and give you a great experience with it;
2. Ensure that you understand what information we collect with your permission, and what we do — and do not do — with it;
3. Hold us accountable for protecting your rights and your privacy under this policy.
All the information we collect is related to providing the TopTap service and its features.
Broadly speaking, there are two categories of information we collect:
1) information that we must have in order for you to use TopTap; and
2) information that we can use to provide additional features and improved experiences if you choose to share that information.
The first category includes:
• Registration information, including your name, birth date, address, and other information you provide when you sign up for TopTap.
• Broad, non-specific location, which we derive from your IP address. Our licenses to services and other content to you are location-specific, so we need to know what country you’re in.
• The items you purchase and your interactions with the Service. This allows us to make recommendations to you and suggest relevant content. You can choose whether or not to share this information with your friends, followers, or the public.
• Technical and sensor information necessary to operate TopTap. This includes the type of browser and device you use, data from the touchscreen, and information from your device’s accelerometer and gyroscope sensors. This enables you to control TopTap.
The second category includes information that enables us to offer you additional features. We never receive any of the following information unless you expressly choose to share it with us. It’s as simple as that. Here are some examples:
• Your specific location: We will never gather or use your specific device location without first getting your explicit permission. This information enables us to create collaborative listening experiences (only with others who have also given permission), and to provide even better recommendations about activities at your event.
• Your photos: We will only access images that you specifically choose, and we will never scan or import your photo library or camera roll. This allows you to choose individual pictures to change your profile picture.
• Your contacts: We will never scan or import your contacts unless you ask us to. If you choose to do so, we will only use your contact information to help you find friends or contacts who use TopTap.
We will be clear with you about how and when we might share information.
In some contexts, we will share certain information. For example, like most services, if you sign up for TopTap through a third party like Facebook or a mobile provider, we share some information with them and they share some information with us in order to enable your account. And we also share de-identified information with our industry partners to help them understand how the content they license to us is performing, with marketing partners who help us with promotional efforts, and with advertisers that allow us to offer our service. There also may be times when you want us to share information. For example, when you take photos, you might want those photos to be visible to your friends… and you might not. Similarly, you can ask us to share information (like your email address) with partners, or other partners who may want to directly send you news or promotional offers, but you can also revoke that permission at any time.
2 Key highlights of what you’re consenting to
By using or interacting with the Service, you are consenting to:
3 The information we collect
We may collect and store the following information—
3.1 Registration data
When you sign up for the Service, we may ask you for information such as your username, password, email address, date of birth, gender, address, postal code, and country. If you connect to the Service using credentials from a Third Party Application (e.g., Facebook), you authorize us to collect your authentication information, such as your username and encrypted access credentials. We may also collect other information available on or through your Third Party Application account, including, for example, your name, profile picture, country, hometown, email address, date of birth, gender, friends’ names and profile pictures, and networks.
You may also choose to voluntarily add other information to your profile, such as your mobile phone number and mobile service provider.
3.2 Usage, log data & cookies
When you use or interact with the Service, we may use a variety of technologies that collect information about how the Service is accessed and used. This information may include:
1. information about your type of purchase and your interactions with the Service, audiovisual content, other TopTap users, Third Party Applications, and advertising, products, and services which are offered, linked to, or made available on or through the Service;
2. the details of the queries you make and the date and time of your request;
3. User Content you post to the Service including messages you send and/or receive via the Service;
4. technical data, which may include URL information, cookie data, your IP address, the types of devices you are using to access or connect to the TopTap Service, unique device ID, device attributes, network connection type (e.g., WiFi, 3G, LTE) and provider, network and device performance, browser type, language, information enabling digital rights management, operating system, and TopTap application version.
5. motion-generated or orientation-generated mobile sensor data (e.g., accelerometer or gyroscope).
You may integrate your TopTap account with Third Party Applications. If you do, we may receive similar information related to your interactions with the Service on the Third Party Application, as well as information about your publicly available activity on the Third Party Application. This includes, for example, your “Like”s and posts on Facebook.
3.3 Your mobile device
• Photos and Camera: We will not access your photos or camera without first getting your explicit permission and we will never scan or import your photo library or camera roll. If you give us permission to access photos or your camera, we will only use images that you specifically choose to share with us. (You may use our application to select the photo or photos you choose to share, but we will never import the photos you review except those you explicitly share.).
• Location: We will not gather or use the specific location of your mobile device (by using, for example, GPS or Bluetooth) without first getting your explicit permission. And if you choose to share location information but later change your mind, you will always have the ability to stop sharing. Please note that this does not include IP address. We will continue to use your IP address as described in Section 3.2 above, to determine, for example, what country you are in and comply with our licensing agreements.
3.4 Widget data
Other websites may integrate TopTap widgets. When you visit a site with a TopTap widget embedded, we may receive certain information, including information about the web page you visited. TopTap and the widget can recognise you, and the widget may be used to show personalised content or advertising. We know when you interact with a widget, and websites containing the widgets may receive this information.
3.5 Payment data
If create a customer profile or make other purchases through the Service, your credit or debit card information (such as card type and expiration date) and other financial data that we need to process your payment may be collected and stored by us and/or the payment processors with which we work. We may also collect some limited information, such as your postal code, mobile number, and details of your transaction history, all of which are necessary to provide the Service. In addition, the payment processors generally provide us with some limited information related to you, such as a unique token that enables you to make additional purchases using the information they’ve stored, and your card’s type, expiration date, and certain digits of your card number.
3.6 Sweepstakes, contests & surveys
3.7 TopTap service providers and partners
We may also receive information about you from our service providers and partners, which we use to personalize your TopTap experience, to measure ad quality and responses to ads, and to display ads that are more likely to be relevant to you. We also use this information as explained in the below.
4 How we use the information we collect
Consistent with the permissions you give us to collect the information, we may use the information we collect, including your personal information:
1. to provide, personalize, and improve your experience with the Service and products, services, and advertising (including for third party products and services) made available on or outside the Service (including on other sites that you visit), for example by providing customized, personalized, or localized content, recommendations, features, and advertising on or outside of the Service;
2. to ensure technical functionality of the Service, develop new products and services, and analyze your use of the Service, including your interaction with applications, advertising, products, and services that are made available, linked to, or offered through the Service;
3. to communicate with you for Service-related or research purposes including via emails, notifications, text messages, or other messages, which you agree to receive;
4. to communicate with you, either directly or through one of our partners, for marketing and promotional purposes via emails, notifications, or other messages, consistent with any permissions you may have communicated to us (e.g., through your TopTap account settings);
5. to, if you explicitly provide us your permission, use your mobile phone number to send you informational, marketing and promotional text messages using an automatic dialing system; you are not required to provide consent as a condition of signing up for TopTap’s services;
6. to enable and promote the Service and other services or products, either within or outside the Service, including features and content of the Service and products and services made available through the Service;
7. to process your payment or prevent or detect fraud;
9. to provide you with features, information, advertising, or other content which is influenced by your location and your location in relation to other TopTap users; and
5 Sharing information
This section describes how the information collected or generated through your use of the TopTap service may be shared by you or by us.
5.1 Sharing by you
The TopTap event management service, but is also very much a social service that offers many ways to find, enjoy, and share content. We encourage you to take advantage of these social features with others on the Service.
Based on your permissions, some additional information can be shared with Third Party Applications and with others through Third Party Applications. For example, you can use your settings to control whether your TopTap activity is posted to Facebook. Similarly, you may consent to provide Third Party Applications with access to your email address, subscription status, location, birthday, or similar information, upon their request.
We may use your public information to promote the Service and to help others find and follow you and/or your TopTap content, including through Facebook and other Third Party Applications and on websites that embed TopTap widgets. Your information may be used to notify others, including within the Service, via email, and through Facebook and Third Party Applications, about your use of the Service (e.g., that you have joined TopTap or activity related to a TopTap profile, such as adding or removing tracks from a playlist).
With your explicit permission, we may notify other users of your location. Likewise, with other TopTap users’ explicit permission, we may notify you about their whereabouts. We may offer you the ability to share this information to create shared experiences.
5.1.2 Third Party Applications
If you connect your TopTap account to a Third Party Application, TopTap may automatically share your activity and activity-related stories with that service, including the content you consume. You understand and agree that that such information may be attributed to your account on the Third Party Application and may be published on such service.
If you log into a Third Party Application with your TopTap account, that Third Party Application may have access to certain information such as your purchases, content saved, and activity. With your explicit permission, we may also share additional information such as your email address, location, or birthdate with such Third Party Applications.
TopTap also enables you to share a particular item of content or a playlist that you have created, on an individual basis, to Third Party Applications, other third party services, other TopTap users, and others. Please note that if you share content to a Third Party Application or a third party service, it will be viewable by others within the TopTap Service, regardless of your TopTap account settings.
5.2 Sharing by TopTap
5.2.1 Marketing and advertising
We may share information with advertising partners in order to send you promotional communications about TopTap or to show you more tailored content, including relevant advertising for products and services that may be of interest to you, and to understand how users interact with advertisements. The information we share is in a de-identified format (for example, through the use of hashing) that does not personally identify you.
Please see the section Information about cookies, other technologies, and third-party data collection below for information about the cookies and other technologies that we and third parties use to serve you more relevant ads and your options.
5.2.2 Service providers and others
5.2.3 Rights holders
The TopTap service allows you to see advertising content. TopTap shares information with the rights holders that deliver this content to TopTap. The data that TopTap shares is in a de-identified format that does not identify you directly, unless you opt in to the sharing of your personal information.
5.2.4 Certain TopTap partners
If you access the TopTap Service through an offer that you received or purchased from a third party such as your mobile network operator, we may also share information with that third party about your use of the TopTap Service, such as whether and to what extent you have used the offer, activated a TopTap account, or actively used the Service.
5.2.5 Other sharing
In addition to the above, we may also share your information with third parties for these limited purposes:
• to allow a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets;
• to respond to legal process (e.g., a court order or subpoena), if we believe in good faith that it is necessary to do so; to comply with requirements of mandatory applicable law; to protect the safety of any person; to protect the rights and property of TopTap, including to enforce the Terms and Conditions of Use and any other terms that you have agreed to; and to address fraud, security, or technical issues;
• to academic researchers for purposes including statistical analysis and academic study, but only in a de-identified format;
• to publish de-identified or aggregate information about the use of the TopTap Service; and
6 Transfer to other countries
We may display advertisements from third parties and other content that links to third party websites. We cannot control or be held responsible for third parties’ privacy practices and content. Please read their privacy policies to find out how they collect and process your personal information.
We are committed to protecting our users’ information. Your password protects your user account, so you should use a unique and strong password, limit access to your computer and browser, and log out after having used the TopTap Service. While we take data protection precautions, no security measures are completely secure, and we do not guarantee the security of user information.
The TopTap Service is not directed to children under the age of 13. (In some countries, stricter age limits may apply) We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 or under the applicable age limit (the “Age Limit”). If you are under the Age Limit, do not use the Service and do not provide any personal information to us. If you are a parent of a child under the Age Limit and become aware that your child has provided personal information to TopTap, please contact us at email@example.com and you may request exercise of your applicable access, rectification, cancellation, and/or objection rights.
11 Accessing and updating user information
Occasionally we may, in our discretion, make changes to the Agreements. When we make material changes to the Agreements, we’ll provide you with prominent notice as appropriate under the circumstances, e.g., by displaying a prominent notice within the Service or by sending you an email. In some cases, we will notify you in advance, and your continued use of the Service after the changes have been made will constitute your acceptance of the changes. Please therefore make sure you read any such notice carefully. If you do not wish to continue using the Service under the new version of the Agreements, you may terminate the Agreements by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
13 Information about cookies, other technologies and third-party data collection
13.1 What are cookies and other technologies?
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer, mobile phone, or other device when you visit a website. The cookie will help website providers to recognize your device the next time you visit their website. There are other similar technologies such as pixel tags (transparent graphic images placed on a web page or in an email, which indicate that a page or email has been viewed), web bugs (similar to pixel tags), and web storage, which are used in desktop software or mobile devices.
There are also technologies such as mobile device identifiers and SDK integrations to help companies recognize your device when you return to an app or otherwise use the a service.
We use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (which stay on your device for a set period of time or until you delete them). We use the following types of cookies for the purposes explained in this chart:
Cookie Type Purpose
Essential Operational These cookies are necessary to allow us to operate the TopTap Service as you have requested. For example, they let us recognise what type of subscriber you are and then provide you with services accordingly.
Performance / Analytics We use these cookies to analyse how the TopTap Service is accessed, is used, or is performing. We use this information to maintain, operate, and continually improve the TopTap Service. We may also obtain information from our email newsletters, including whether you opened or forwarded a newsletter or clicked on any of its content. This information tells us about our newsletters' effectiveness and helps us ensure that we're delivering information that you find interesting.
Functional These cookies let us operate certain functions of the TopTap Service in line with the choices you make. These cookies mean that when you continue to use or come back to the TopTap Service, we can provide you with our services as you have asked for them to be provided, such as knowing your username, remembering how you have customised our services, and reminding you of content you have enjoyed.
Targeting / advertising We use these cookies to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests. The information may also be used for frequency capping purposes (e.g., to ensure we do not display the same advertisement to you repeatedly) and to help us regulate the advertisements you receive and measure their effectiveness.
TopTap Ads We work with web publishers, advertising networks, and service providers to deliver TopTap ads on other web sites and services. Cookies may be used to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests on other web sites and services and to regulate the advertisements you receive and measure their effectiveness.
13.4 More information
© 2017 TopTap